The Kla Systems Slot Injector system is a superior jet aeration system that is specifically applied to industrial biological treatment processes where fine screening is a standard pretreatment operation in both conventional and advanced air activated sludge applications. First introduced in 1979 by Bayer AG, the Slot Injector™ is similar to a modern jet aerator but uses a slot-shaped configuration to achieve higher efficiencies.
Industries that can benefit from using Slot Injector™ technology include Food & Beverage, Chemical Processing, Leachate Treatment, Pulp & Paper, Pharmaceutical, Refinery, Petrochemical and Textile.
The propulsion jet of the Slot Injector creates a zone of extreme negative pressure which enhances gas entrainment. The well-defined, slot shaped mixing chamber maximizes gas/liquid contacting, discharging a high energy bubble cloud that produces continual surface renewal at the gas/liquid interface resulting in higher alpha factors compared to conventional diffusers.
The Slot Injector is a lower liquid flow, high pressure jet aerator which has considerable advantages over conventional jet aeration technology such as:
- A 55% reduction in liquid flow results in smaller and/or fewer pump stations as well as significant reductions in the size of liquid piping/valves and fittings both inside and outside the tank. This feature provides considerable capital savings.
- Improved gas dissolution results in up to a 15% reduction in the volume of air required leading to smaller blowers, motors and piping systems.
- The higher pressure pumping system allows for higher efficiency impellers reducing energy usage.
- The higher velocity jet plume allows for raising the jet nozzles and canting them downward resulting in energy savings due to lower pressure blowers.
- Unlike conventional jet aerators the slot injector aerator can run at both reduced air and liquid flow for maximum energy savings at lower loading conditions. This is a big advantage since the system can maintain peak aeration efficiency as pump and blower energy usage can be effectively turned down without sacrificing adequate mixing. Also, during upset events the feature of reducing the liquid flow to the injectors also assists in managing foam production and can improve bio-flocculation.
- The Slot Injector Aeration System is equipped with removable/replaceable inner and outer injector nozzles. When combined with our air lift backflush system all the features required for short and long term clean out of the injectors and piping system are met.